From September 28 to October 1, Barcelona celebrates the third edition of the annual artistic event for professionals, art lovers, collectors and artists, which turns the city into the hub of the contemporary art sector.
23 galleries will participate in the BGW 2017 with an extensive program of exhibitions ranging from painting, sculpture and installation from the most outstanding contemporary national and international artists of the last decades, as well as historical avant-gardes, with collective exhibitions with some of the most important artists of the early 20th century. The galleries also organize an extensive agenda of activities scheduled during the event.
In addition, the BGW 2017 will offer a large set of parallel activities; theCompositions programme, specially designed at Barcelona's unique and little known spaces by artists represented by the selected galleries, curated by Glòria Picazo and Alexandra Laudo; The exhibition D'esquena a la galeria. Under suspicion, in which curator Joana Hurtado gives a look on the private collections of gallerists participating in the BGW; Besides guided toursand special activities for professionals and all citizens.
Great news for this third edition of the BGW is the Acquisitions Programmeaimed at foundations and / or private companies that commit themselves to acquire at least one of the works exhibited during the four days of the event. The partners of this edition are the Blueproject Foundation, Fundació Vila Casas and Cuatrecasas
For the third consecutive year, the BGW offers the Friendship Programmecreated for individuals who would like to join the event receiving in return a series of advantages. On this occasion, the artist Àngels Ribé, winner of the National Award for Culture 2012, has made a limited edition work for the Friendship Programme. Her artwork will be exhibited during the days of the event in the hall of the El Palace Hotel.
Apart from the activities open to general public, the BGW 2017 also proposes aprofessional programme addressed to collectors, curators, journalists and directors of national and international museums. The professional, selected jointly by the participating galleries and the organization, benefit from a program of guided tours and private visits. For international institutional guests, the BGW 2017 has the benefit from Program of Internationalization of Spanish Culture (PICE) of Spanish Cultural Action (AC/E) in its modality of visitors.
The BGW is an initiative organized by Art Barcelona, the Contemporary Art Galleries Association in Barcelona, and in this third edition is positioned as one of the reference dates in the European artistic calendar.
The BGW 2017 will be attended by 23 galleries, 21 from Barcelona and 2 from L'Hospitalet de Llobregat, each one will host an exhibition of contemporary or avant-garde art conceived for the celebration of the event, as well as special complementary activities.
The selection committee of BGW 2017, made up of critics and curators Juanjo Lahuerta,Frederic Montornés and Imma Prieto, have chosen the 22 galleries that will be part of the third edition of the BGW, while paying homage to Galeria Estrany-de la Mota for the recently deceased gallery owner Antoni Estrany. In total, 23 galleries will participate with works by more than 50 artists.
- ADN Galeria - Jordi Colomer
- Àmbit Galeria d’Art - Lluís Blanc, Sculptor's Drawings
- Ana Mas Projects - Alberto Peral, Half
- àngels barcelona - Martha Rosler, Martha Rosler, 1981 (the year the future began)
- Bombon projects - Diane Guyot de Saint Michel, I love U jungle
- Dada Objet Trouvé - Dora Maar, André Lhote, Pablo Picasso, Man Ray, DORA MAAR. Vola una mosca en el temps
- etHALL - Sergio Prego, Asbestos Hall
- Galeria Balaguer - Albert Gusi, NAA4
- Galeria Carles Taché - Michael Joo, Uniformitarian Assumptions (and other ghosts)
- Galeria Contrast - Rafel Bestard, Juliane Hundertmark, Íñigo Navarro,Irrealisme
- Galeria Estrany-de la Mota (Homage) - Ignasi Aballí, Patricia Esquivias, Pauline Fondevila, Douglas Gordon, José Antonio Hernández-Díez, Mariona Moncunill, Juan Luís Moraza, Rasmus Nilausen, Gerard Ortín, Alex Reynolds, Francesc Ruiz, Richard Venlet, Oriol Vilanova, Marijke Van Warmerdam, among others, Displays of Affection II: Imagine the future
- Galeria Joan Prats - Julião Sarmento, Objects on the New Landscape demanding of the Eye (part 3)
- Galeria Marc Domènech - Esteban Vicente, Esteban Vicente. Colour and form
- Galeria Senda - Stephan Balkenhol
- Galeria Trama - Ángel Mateo Charris, Gonzalo Sicre, ERROR 404, NOT FOUND
- Mayoral - Joan Brossa, Alexander Calder, Marc Chagall, Yvonne Chevalier, Salvador Dalí, Óscar Domínguez, Richard Hamilton, René Magritte, Joan Miró, Pablo Picasso, Joan Ponç, Antoni Tàpies, The space of dreams
- N2 Galeria - Isabel Muñoz, Platinotypes
- Nogueras Blanchard - Richard Wentworth
- ProjecteSD - Iñaki Bonillas, The Triumph of Solitary Life
- RocioSantaCruz - Jean Denant, La traversée
- Sala Dalmau - J.Fín, J.FIN, el sendero solitario
- Tasneem Gallery - Ixone Sádaba, This is not my body
- Tat Art Barcelona - Vicky Uslé, Un ligero cielo amarillo
For more information, visit www.barcelonagalleryweekend.com